Edward
AMA
AMA

If Bitcoin was to become illegal in your jurisdiction...

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:17 am

Hypothetically, if Bitcoin was to become 100% illegal to own & transact in your country - Would you keep using it?

A large debate regarding the success of Bitcoin is government intervention, and people constantly bring up the fact that this is impossible due to Bitcoins decentralized nature.

But lets be real here for a second, if such laws were implied, would you continue to use it?
Primedice Head of Operations & Co Founder

Email: Edward@Primedice.com
Telegram: @EdwardMiroslav

AlexTee
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1EWQKeX3pKPs2o9LY39W57T93zb8sUxBHE

Re: If Bitcoin was to become illegal in your jurisdiction...

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:45 am

I think if it were to become illegal to "own and transact" it would be hard to use because there would be nowhere to spend it.

In places like Australia if the government made it illegal people would (imo) just hoard it and hope its useable one day.

Windowly
Junior Mod
Junior Mod

Donate BTC of your choice to qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyq

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:57 am

I would still use it!
Signing Address: qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyqm4

DOGed
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 136djiDtVHKq8KLnJQnCRJL2TydpGgnyyT

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:25 am

I think your question is somewhat flawed. I think it would be better praised "If bitcoin was to become illegal in your jurisdiction, would you stay in that jurisdiction?"

I like many/most people who are involved with bitcoin, who use bitcoin and who are interested in bitcoin, believe in free markets, and wish for little government and government regulations. I also believe in freedom of speech, and similarly freedom of expression. I would like to note that using bitcoin is not unlike using speech/saying something, especially when I am spending bitcoin/broadcasting a transaction.

With the above paragraph being said, if I were to have never used Bitcoin, and personally believed that Bitcoin is going to be successful, and had zero interest in ever using Bitcoin (none of these actually apply to me), then I would most likely leave my jurisdiction if my jurisdiction were to 100% outlaw the use of BItcoin, if it is safe to do so. Any government that attempts to regulate commerce and their people that heavily is not a government that I would want to be governed by. That is the definition of an oppressive government and such a government would likely have other restrictions that do harm to the people they govern, or if not then would probably do things that would overall harm the people they govern in the future.

To answer your question exactly as written, no I would not continue to use Bitcoin if doing so is illegal in my jurisdiction. I believe in the rule of law, and I believe that breaking the law simply because I believe it is a bad law is most likely not going to end well for me.
Have fun, send me a tip 136djiDtVHKq8KLnJQnCRJL2TydpGgnyyT

LiteCoinGuy
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Dbo5TtxG9cWoyw49GM8vbD7HgQhr1KVi6

Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:53 pm

using would be difficult because of the penalties. but i would hold it for sure and i would try to spread the word.
More informations about Bitcoin and scaling BTC on

bitcoin.org/en/

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/23/c ... reases-faq

&
reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:00 pm

I think your question is somewhat flawed. I think it would be better praised "If bitcoin was to become illegal in your jurisdiction, would you stay in that jurisdiction?"
Agreed that the act of banning bitcoin is an indication of a much bigger problem within the government. It is an indication of a totalitarian regime. It is unlikely they would only ban bitcoin, and stay (or become) a free country at the same time. But I don't believe there are any truly free countries on earth right now, because there is not a single one without a government. So it is always a choice between 'what is available to me' and 'which of those is the best choice'. What is 'best' is very subjective.
To answer your question exactly as written, no I would not continue to use Bitcoin if doing so is illegal in my jurisdiction. I believe in the rule of law, and I believe that breaking the law simply because I believe it is a bad law is most likely not going to end well for me.
I agree again. The government, with its legal monopoly on force and legal monopoly on the initiation of violence, is too powerful to disobey. Disobeying arbitrary rules, no matter how silly those rules are, will result in imprisonment. So I will follow the rules to the best of my ability. Not out of respect for these rules but for a single very practical reason: I don't want to be locked up. But without rules, I would not turn into a Mad Max character... morality should be the gauge of whether or not to do something. And morality is not subjective (see Stefan Molyneux's free book 'Universally Preferable Behaviour (UPB) A Rational Proof of Secular Ethics' at www.freedomainradio.com/free).

It is interesting to note that countries with hash anti-drug laws have higher drug usage than countries with very lenient laws. So the act of making something illegal does not seem to prevent usage - it sometimes encourages it. The same may be true for bitcoin, as the underground use case for a black market free market currency could be extremely strong in a totalitarian situation.
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

Acidyo
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 14EvhgnCa62LRKY5ksj9v9UAvM2TsJG8MZ

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:12 pm

It depends on how heavy the laws would be in my opinion. New york seems to be pushing it lately and Finland was the first country to tax btc (obviously with their millions of laws nowadays). But if people stopped using it because of those reasons, I'm sure they would just jump ship to another coin that would be less transparent than btc is.

LiteCoinGuy
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Dbo5TtxG9cWoyw49GM8vbD7HgQhr1KVi6

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:18 am

Agreed that the act of banning bitcoin is an indication of a much bigger problem within the government. It is an indication of a totalitarian regime. It is unlikely they would only ban bitcoin, and stay (or become) a free country at the same time. But I don't believe there are any truly free countries on earth right now, because there is not a single one without a government. So it is always a choice between 'what is available to me' and 'which of those is the best choice'. What is 'best' is very subjective.
I agree again. The government, with its legal monopoly on force and legal monopoly on the initiation of violence, is too powerful to disobey. Disobeying arbitrary rules, no matter how silly those rules are, will result in imprisonment. So I will follow the rules to the best of my ability. Not out of respect for these rules but for a single very practical reason: I don't want to be locked up. But without rules, I would not turn into a Mad Max character... morality should be the gauge of whether or not to do something. And morality is not subjective (see Stefan Molyneux's free book 'Universally Preferable Behaviour (UPB) A Rational Proof of Secular Ethics' at www.freedomainradio.com/free).

It is interesting to note that countries with hash anti-drug laws have higher drug usage than countries with very lenient laws. So the act of making something illegal does not seem to prevent usage - it sometimes encourages it. The same may be true for bitcoin, as the underground use case for a black market free market currency could be extremely strong in a totalitarian situation.
i guess Roger would be your best friend with your opinions ;)
More informations about Bitcoin and scaling BTC on

bitcoin.org/en/

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/23/c ... reases-faq

&
reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

TsonicTsunami
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:05 pm

The best demonstration of this would be China and Russia. Bitcoin is viewed hostilely and at points was outlawed. I think it is still illegal in Russia. I think when central governments say it's bad, people intuitivly know that it is awesome and want it.

CryptAxe
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:08 pm

It would be migration time
CryptAxe.com | bitcoinhivemind.com

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”