bootz47

Re: P2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, trustless, censorship-resistant pool.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi. Thank you for your help. Commands give the results as below.

git remote -v:
origin https://github.com/jtoomim/p2pool (fetch)
origin https://github.com/jtoomim/p2pool (push)

git status:
On branch 1mb_segwit
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/1mb_segwit'.
nothing to commit, working tree clean

git branch -v
* 1mb_segwit 4a0332c In default web UI, limit "My shares" to 50 entries
master 6f55d05 on bitcoin p2pool, require all peers to be running v15

James.

bootz47

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi Jtoomim

I've re-downloaded from git, just waiting for it to find some peers. Version is now 15.0-7-g1bb7c0f Is this the correct / latest version?

Thank you.
James.
www.mine4.com

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:39 pm

Is this pool still operating successfully?
Whichever chain wins,the world wins Image

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:11 am

@bootz47 Yeah, 4a0332c is a pretty old version. g5b715d4 is the most recent. I'm not sure where you got g1bb7c0f from, but your :9334 node at least appears to be running the correct version.

@OneChain on the BTC p2pool, the number of unique payout addresses has exceeded 225, resulting in a coinbase tx size over 8 kB. This triggers a bug on most Antminer S9s that causes them to not hash. Upgrading your S9s to a new firmware version may fix this issue.

Celebrimbot

Donate BTC of your choice to 1JL8YVyeuRdEUZYmQusEtuko6TciN7Aumy

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:45 am

Hi James - I'm seeing this kind of behaviour on my node. The charts below are typical of a 24 hour period. I am using wifi at home for this, but wondered if its something else:

Period of high traffic rate: https://screenshots.firefox.com/LkHpIeg ... /127.0.0.1
Leading to drop off in connections: https://screenshots.firefox.com/t8J0cW9 ... /127.0.0.1
And a sticky pool rate value: https://screenshots.firefox.com/SiR3Q8V ... /127.0.0.1

I'm at 79.79.107.123:9334

If you take a look, thanks in advance.

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:51 pm

The BCH stress test is about to start. People are already warming up their spam engines. We just mined a 1.78 MB BCH block.

Celebrimbot, I suspect that your node is getting some sort of issue in which it's trying to upload an invalid share or something to peers, which they reject, causing you to get disconnected, then reconnect, then reupload the share. Or maybe something else weird is happening causing your node to do a lot of unnecessary uploading. Perhaps your full node is changing the transactions it is mining on a lot more than normal, causing your node to send more remember_tx messages? I don't really know. If the problem is ongoing, I could ssh in and take a look in a few days. The BCH stress test will keep me busy for the near future, though.

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:06 am

If anyone is running a node on BCH p2pool, I recommend adding --bench to the command line options for the next couple of days.

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:46 am

I'm currently losing about 20% of my hashrate on p2pool. It looks like p2pool is taking about 3 seconds on average to process a 3-6 MB getblocktemplate response and generate new work. During that time, p2pool appears to not process or respond to stratum requests from my mining hardware. This problem can probably resolved fairly easily by threading. I'm looking into that now.

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:18 pm

@jtoomim My p2pool node problem seemed to be alleviated a lot by changing maxmempool on my bitcoind to 16MB. Might be a decent workaround?

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:26 am

It appears there is a bug with the caching of the value of the serialized size for each transaction, at least on BCH. This is causing share verification to be way slower than it ought to be. I'm looking into a proper fix now, but for the mean time, you can change this line in p2pool/data.py:540:

else:
if not hasattr(self, 'all_tx_size'):

to this:

elif 0:
if not hasattr(self, 'all_tx_size'):

This will skip the check on blocksize, which isn't really needed on BCH. This is not safe to do on any other coin, though.

I'm not entirely sure why the caching isn't working. I think something new might have happened to cause that, as it seems to be new, but... who knows.

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:35 am

@jtoomim I tried the fix, indeed performance improved quite a bit. I'm not benchmarking but CPU use seemed not saturated anymore under larger blocks. Wonder if there are other performance fixes.

PauloTavares

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Hello
What is these p2pool network block finding average currently ?

moonshot

Donate BTC of your choice to bc1q4nh26ng0c45kyphhk0e4se0xls25zm2f64fa

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:30 am

@jtoomin, I'm merge mining with LTC-->Doge-->NewYorkCoin(testnet) using the 1mb-segwit branch. During stress testing with ~23GH/s I'm receiving the expected block rewards for all three coins but there are a ton of uncaught exceptions that I would like to reduce or supress -- any recommendations?
Error submitting merged block: (will retry)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/pypy2.7/dist-packages/Twisted-15.4.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 588, in _runCallbacks
current.result = callback(current.result, *args, **kw)
File "/usr/local/lib/pypy2.7/dist-packages/Twisted-15.4.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 1184, in gotResult
_inlineCallbacks(r, g, deferred)
File "/usr/local/lib/pypy2.7/dist-packages/Twisted-15.4.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 1126, in _inlineCallbacks
result = result.throwExceptionIntoGenerator(g)
File "/usr/local/lib/pypy2.7/dist-packages/Twisted-15.4.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/twisted/python/failure.py", line 389, in throwExceptionIntoGenerator
return g.throw(self.type, self.value, self.tb)
--- <exception caught here> ---
File "/home/moonshot/p2pool/p2pool/util/deferral.py", line 41, in f
result = yield func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/pypy2.7/dist-packages/Twisted-15.4.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 1126, in _inlineCallbacks
result = result.throwExceptionIntoGenerator(g)
File "/usr/local/lib/pypy2.7/dist-packages/Twisted-15.4.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/twisted/python/failure.py", line 389, in throwExceptionIntoGenerator
return g.throw(self.type, self.value, self.tb)
File "/home/moonshot/p2pool/p2pool/util/jsonrpc.py", line 133, in _http_do
raise Error_for_code(resp['error']['code'])(resp['error']['message'], resp['error'].get('data', None))
p2pool.util.jsonrpc.NarrowError: -8 block hash unknown

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:23 am

rldleblanc has submitted a PR to jtoomim/p2pool 1mb_segwit which will add SegWit address support to p2pool for coins that support it (e.g. BTC, LTC). This PR is based on the Vertcoin p2pool's code. Adding this support will be a hard fork, and will require all users to upgrade before it can be used. Any code-savvy folks here might want to help review it.

https://github.com/jtoomim/p2pool/pull/14

If this gets merged (as it probably will be), it will start a hashrate vote for version 34 shares. Once 50% of the hashrate is voting for v34, it will give users a warning that they need to upgrade, and point them to http://p2pool.forre.st (oops) which will unfortunately have nothing about this fork. Once support hits 95%, the new code will be enabled, and anyone still mining with an old version of the software will find themselves all alone on a minority chain with <= 5% of the hashrate.

@moonshot I have no significant experience with the merged mining code and can't readily help, sorry.

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:40 pm

@jtoomim hashrate has dipped dramatically on BCH and your site went down. Did you move your hashrate? Or was that an accident?

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:11 am

A 225 amp circuit breaker tripped at our facility, knocking off both of our sha256 p2pool servers for about 6 hours. Fixed.

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 am

Considering the nextgen miners with ASICboost coming online soon, is there any plans to support them?

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Can you be more specific about which next-gen miners using ASICBOOST you're talking about? I have an m10v2 running on p2pool right now with no problems at 63 J/TH. Is there anything more next-gen than that?

As far as I know, it was just the Halong Dragonmint T1 that required ASICBOOST, and it wasn't really any better than an S9.

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:50 am

Whatsminer works at 63J/TH? Ok disregard my concern then, I thought it requires the pool side to feed it rolling headers in order to achieve the efficiency...

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Has the current P2Pool client been tested with the Nov15 upgrade yet?

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:39 am

Did anyone get to order any machines from the Ebang E11 series? I'd love to be able to test one to make sure it's compatible with p2pool, but they were sold out before I could grab one.

http://miner.ebang.com.cn/index.html

P2pool has not been tested with the Bitcoin ABC Nov 15 fork yet, but I do not expect any trouble on mainnet.

On testnet or on PERSIST=True solo mining setups, there may be some issues from the requirement that all transactions (including the coinbase) be at least 100 bytes; it's possible but unlikely that the coinbase without merged mining and with a single payout address (plus the OP_RETURN and the p2pool donation address payout) might be slightly less than 100 bytes, but I doubt it. I just haven't checked.

CTOR should not be an issue as long as p2pool's code does not trim off any transactions to meet the 8 MB p2pool blocksize limit. Everybody on p2pool should be using a bitcoind-level blockmaxsize setting of around 1 MB to 4 MB (otherwise p2pool is just too slow). If you're already doing that, no issues with CTOR should happen.

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:41 am

The pull request for adding P2SH, BECH32, SegWit address, and Cashaddr support to p2pool appears to be complete. I'm reviewing it now.

https://github.com/jtoomim/p2pool/pull/14

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 pm

@jtoomim just FYI I made a nov15-activated testnet p2pool at testnet.imaginary.cash:19338, difficulty is 1.6 so proceed with care, but give it a shot. Can erect your own testnet node too to make sure everything's good to go including peering.

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:31 am

imaginary_username mined a BCH testnet block with the new (ABC) rules. The coinbase transaction was 226 bytes, even though there was only one active payout address, due to the OP_RETURN and the donation address, so I'm convinced that we don't have to worry about the 100 byte minimum.

In other news, I'm putting up a bounty of 3 BCH for adding Antminer S9 overt AsicBoost support to p2pool. I haven't found a specification document for Bitmain's "multiversion" stratum extension, so this might require some reverse engineering or some waiting for someone else to reverse engineer it and post the results.
https://github.com/jtoomim/p2pool/issues/17

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:32 pm

It looks like Bitmain's firmware now supports the BIP310 stratum extension for overt asicboost. This should make implementation much easier.

If anyone wants to work on this, the 3 BCH bounty for it is still valid. I can also pay in BTC or LTC if anyone prefers.

PauloTavares

Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:33 am

We should be reaching a new record in the https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/pool/p2pool.
It's a lot of time without finding a block :(

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:28 am

I have removed my hashrate from the BCH p2pool, and I will be keeping my hashrate off of BCH p2pool for the duration of the BCH hard fork. I suggest everyone else do the same. Consider BCH p2pool support deprecated for the time being; we will resume activity on BCH when things settle down.

If anyone is curious, I will be mining on BTC p2pool until the fork date in order to keep the BCH mining difficulty as low as possible during the hash war. After the fork date, I will be mining on pool.bitcoin.com as a vote for ABC.

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:21 pm

I have put my hashrate back on BCH p2pool.

kr1z1s

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:59 am

I have put my hashrate back on BCH p2pool.
Hi

Urgently check your BCH blockchain!

You worker find block - http://p2p-spb.xyz:9338/static/classic/ ... 6f373fdf41

Number - 557870 WTF?!

This block found 23 november - https://blockchair.com/bitcoin-cash/block/557870

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:33 am

Re: 557870: Thanks for the heads up. I had forgotten that I had been doing some bitcoind development on server computer while my hashrate was off on pool.bitcoin.com, and was running buggy incomplete code. I fixed this on Wednesday shortly after that orphan block was found.

On another note: Someone with the address 18Wc9XdyCBq8fazP5yErKGA64JVEFENJ1p decided to send about 5 PH/s to my BCH node suddenly. The sudden increase in the number of connections saturated a per-login 1024 open file limit on that account, which made the server get all buggy and drop connections. I've increased the open file limit, and performance is again normal. You're welcome to continue mining there if you'd like.

Warning: i'm seeing quite a few lines like this:

2018-12-01 08:28:43.072649 GOT SHARE! 18Wc9XdyCBq8fazP5yErKGA64JVEFENJ1p 6654496d prev 191c7d81 age 5.77s DEAD ON ARRIVAL

which suggests poor performance (high latency?) on your end. It looks like you're losing about 2% of your hashrate due to DOAs. That's not awful, but maybe worth optimizing.

Return to “Pools”