Forum rules
If you are posting news, press or any other related material that directly or in-directly benefits you, we request that you post a back-link to bitcoin.com by using a button, banner or text-link on your website. Thanks for supporting Bitcoin.com!
ShaniaMitchell

Blockchain analysis and day trading crypto's

Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:09 pm

Man buys $27 of bitcoin, forgets about them, finds they're now worth $886k
This article is more than 5 years old
Bought in 2009, currency’s rise in value saw small investment turn into enough to buy an apartment in a wealthy area of Oslo

Bitcoin: what you need to know:
The meteoric rise in bitcoin has meant that within the space of four years, one Norwegian man’s $27 investment turned into a forgotten $886,000 windfall.

Reported bitcoin 'founder' Craig Wright's home raided by Australian police
Read more
Kristoffer Koch invested 150 kroner ($26.60) in 5,000 bitcoins in 2009, after discovering them during the course of writing a thesis on encryption. He promptly forgot about them until widespread media coverage of the anonymous, decentralised, peer-to-peer digital currency in April 2013 jogged his memory.

Bitcoins are stored in encrypted wallets secured with a private key, something Koch had forgotten. After eventually working out what the password could be, Koch got a pleasant surprise:

“It said I had 5,000 bitcoins in there. Measuring that in today’s rates it’s about NOK5m ($886,000),” Koch told NRK.

This article was originally published on 29 October 2013. Due to a technical fault, it has been republished here, on a new page.
The growing popularity of cryptocurrencies has aroused mainstream interest in blockchain technologies and their possibilities. Increasingly, blockchain is used as a generic term that most people associate with Bitcoin, the cryptocurrency created using the technology. The potential and scope of the application of decentralized protocols have already become so much broader. The Bitcoin blockchain is a global distributed ledger consisting of data blocks sequentially linked in a chain. Each block contains information about the preceding block. The data of blocks is copied and stored on different Bitcoin mining nodes without being bound to one specific server, making the substitution of records impossible. Recently, Cryptocurrency and the Ethereum market has being on the rocket side no uncertainty about it, and the best way to profit by it is exchanging utilizing signs to twofold it, not simply by holding them and that is a strategy that still works for me, I made 85ETH and 19BTC utilizing with Bernd_herm Signals on Telegram, the I believe the market is profitable and his signals are extremely dynamic and prepared to help.

Return to “In the news”