Search found 48 matches

Go to advanced search

by gavinandresen
Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:22 pm
Forum: AMA - Ask Me Anything
Topic: I’m Stephen Pair, Co-Founder & CEO of BitPay, Ask me anything!
Replies: 57
Views: 94504

Re: I’m Stephen Pair, Co-Founder & CEO of BitPay, Ask me anything!

Did the pattern of "people spend more bitcoin when the price is rising" hold with the latest price increase?
by gavinandresen
Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:36 am
Forum: Development & Technical Discussion
Topic: Unobtrusively Anonymizing the U.S. Postal Service With Smart Contracts
Replies: 10
Views: 8527

Re: Unobtrusively Anonymizing the U.S. Postal Service With Smart Contracts

It's not clear to me what problem you're trying to solve, or what attack you're trying to prevent. First class mail inside the US is protected, unless the postal service has a search warrant: https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/faq.aspx ... so why doesn't the sender just send directly via f...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:08 pm
Topic: I'm Gavin Andresen, Bitcoin geek. Ask me anything!
Replies: 137
Views: 221490

Re: I'm Gavin Andresen, Bitcoin geek. Ask me anything!

After this answer, I'm done for now: Hi Gavin and thank you and the team for the great work you've been doing for Bitcoin, For somebody learning to code , and wanting to go into writing smart contracts and contributing to the cryptocurrencies community , where do I start? Any specific programming la...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:01 pm

Question: I see you've been inactive on bitcointalk.org, have you given up on them? If so, why? Is it because theymos' stance on XT?
I just found it wasn't worth my time to try to have a productive conversation there-- too many people who seemed to be actively trying to derail good discussion.
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Hey Gavin, Do you see the halving having any major impact to the ecosystem? Ever worry that miners will not be getting paid enough in the long run or that fees will be astronomical putting off many new users to make up for having less of a block reward? I think the second halving will be a non-even...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:42 pm

What are your thoughts on MIT's college atmosphere and opportunities? What areas of computer science and tech would be the most beneficial to study if Bitcoin tech development is the end goal? I've never been a student at MIT, so I don't know. Personally, I think I'd prefer a university like Prince...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:38 pm

With Confidential Transactions working on a sidechain, what roadblocks do you see in getting this implemented in core? What can the community do to help spur movement to get this merged into core?
Good question for Greg... I don't know, I haven't looked.
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:36 pm

My recollection of your major projects in Bitcoin are: 1. multisignature transactions in 2014, and 2. increase block size in 2015. What will you focus on in 2016? (Assuming, for this question, that the block size increase issue is settled one way or another.) Right now, I'm planning on focusing on ...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:32 pm

Sure, and that's why BIP101 started with "what is reasonable for somebody with a somewhat-above-average Internet connection." Please forgive me if I'm missing it but I don't see that language anywhere in the BIP. Am I looking in the right place? : https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-010...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Do you see blockchains changing significantly any time soon? I'm thinking along the lines of Tangle but basically things other than single monolithic chains becoming the more popular implementations. No, but I might be wrong. As I said earlier, I'm a big fan of simple, so I like the bitcoin blockch...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:27 pm

I'll answer a few more, but can't go on forever... 1. Do you have any suggestion regarding how mining can be decentralized again? 2. If blocksize is not raised above 1mb, will you leave bitcoin core development? 1. I think mining centralization will swing back and forth between being more and less c...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:35 pm

I believe the crux of the debate comes down to the bandwidth implications of larger blocks as it pertains to non-datacenter hosted nodes in places (including first world countries) with caps and expensive pay per GB pricing, and over TOR. Sure, and that's why BIP101 started with "what is reasonable...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:31 pm

What do you think about OP_RETURN protocols like Counterparty or any other protocol that relies heavily on using OP_RETURN to store data into the block chain? I see you've identified Coin Secrets as a good use of it: https://twitter.com/gavinandresen/status/519498283203719169. What do you see as go...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Do you think the R3 blockchain being adopted by a consortium of banks presents a threat to Bitcoin? Short/Medium/Long term. Also, do you think there is a legitimate place for it alongside Bitcoin? No, not a threat, it is a different engineering design space. Yes, I think there's a place for highly ...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:21 pm

- One question that always pops up on my IRC meeting write-up: "where's Gavin?" I felt you where met with quite a bit of negativity towards your idea of storing the blockchain on a content distribution network after the first meeting, did that have anything to with why we don't see you there anymor...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:15 pm

1) Imagine quantum computers or whatever were able to derive the private key from EC public keys in a few seconds... would there be anything we should be considering adding now to harden any old addresses that have been reused and have their public key exposed already? E.g. add an option that would...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:09 pm

I was wondering what it's like working with MIT Media Labs? What's been your experience so far, do you work on campus? I'm actually looking for advice or role models for how pragmatic geeks like me can best interact with the world's smartest professors and students. It's not a role I've had before,...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:06 pm

What is your opinion on BIP 100? It appears to me that it would be dangerous to have the ability to not only not increase blocksize when its needed but actually reduce blocksize, that becomes a possibility under BIP 100 right? I think BIP 100 would work OK. I think it is more complicated than neces...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:06 pm

1. Do you think that bitcoin can help the NGO sector (global) acquire additional funding? What do you think are the biggest advantages of using bitcoin for donations? Can you think of any drawbacks? 2. Do you have a favorite sci-fi or non-fiction book/novel? 1. "Additional funding" -- maybe. So whe...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi Gavin... My question is regarding the much discussed block size controversy. I have seen that the discussion has done round about mainly BIP 100 & BIP 101. But, there have not been much discussion regarding BIP 105 & BIP 106 . I'd like to know your opinion regarding these two. I don't like eithe...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:47 pm

Two quick questions (one big and one small(er)) 1) It always felt to me, in the months leading up to last August, that the clear popular majority was in favor of larger blocksizes and even BitcoinXT (it still feels that way on /r/Bitcoin). It was surprising then that so few people adopted XT (or BI...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Hey Gavin, I sincerely believe you're one of the great computer scientists of our time. Who do you think would best play you in a theatrical adaptation of Bitcoin / your life?
Myself, of course.
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:38 pm

First you said in an earlier post you liked bitcoin because it gets all of the incentives right, but as an aspiring economist I see a huge gap in an incentive for developers to further develop underlying features without bias from companies in the space who employ the developers (the blockstream ar...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:34 pm

Gavin, thanks for all that you have done for Bitcoin. My question is, what is being built into bitcoin core code to help protect our privacy? Is privacy an important topic that is being addressed? How about mixers, etc that is on by default as part of the core code? Thanks. The reference implementa...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Mike and I have been really frustrated by "the other side's" unwillingness to meaningfully engage. I'm still trying, but (as I said in a private email this morning) it is impossible to collaborate if one side refuses to communicate. If you could magically force Blockstream to do something *other* t...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Gavin how do you feel about the development of "permissioned" blockchains? Do you think there is innovation within these centralized ledger concepts? ~ Thanks Jamie R. I told a reporter just a couple days ago I probably should write a blog post on the whole permissioned blockchain idea.... Here's w...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Do you think there should eventually be only 1 cryptocurrency or do you think having 2-3 main cryptocurrencies is good to have some competition and room for the free market to decide at least on that level (I think the market can't decide the direction bitcoin is going right now as a small group of...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:20 pm

In order to advance Bitcoin adoption rates for merchants, there has to be a concerted industry effort. BitPay spent huge on this effort but unfortunately their great campaigns have not had legs. Who do you think should take on the responsibility of leading the members of the "Bitcoin Industry" in e...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Given that miners exist to serve bitcoin (not the other way around), how much weight do you think should be given to the needs/wants of existing miners when considering changes to the bitcoin protocol? Eleven percent. (with the other eleven percents weighted to users, pool owners, merchants, exchan...
by gavinandresen
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:12 pm

Mike Hearn claims that miners will switch their vote to BIP 101 if there is no proposal to increase block size from core developers by December. In talking with miners and companies, one thing I’m hearing repeatedly is “we will wait for the second conference in December. If there’s no progress by t...

Go to advanced search