Global Moderator

Re: Mike Hearn on BitcoinXT

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:10 am

mike hearn is a tool

he must be stopped

Shahn

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:27 am

The thing that gets me and makes me worried is how Mike Hearn outlines that the decision to go with 8 megabytes was to appease the chinese miners. It makes me worry where he will stop at appeasing the miners. Do we get rid of the reward halving too? That's an extreme example but it highlights the slippery slope that this looks to be.

btc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:51 am

mike hearn says a lot of stupid things

Mike Hearn on the current BTC coup (yes the one he is a part of) (yes he is trying to take over BTC)
It's easily possible for a sufficiently aggressive minority to end up taking over Bitcoin through social means, regardless of the technology it has.
I love that part because it describes what he and his lackeys are up to right now, as I type this.

magma
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Magmaqvxx7LpUTYGWw8RNPEJXBQ6iSLVX

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Mike Hearn is a very reasonable engineer, and he does have a lot of experience with building consumer wallets that people are actually using. Since the network is growing we do need bigger blocks, and Hearn and Gavin are one of the few people who are actually doing something. Most other people are just busy with writing shit about them on forums and Reddit.

8 was just arbitrary picked since it's a lucky number in China, and the miners do need to be on board for this to work. While it's true that the miners decide and they need to make the decisions that won't make people abandon bitcoin because it didn't scale, we can also end up in a situation where bitcoin looks like Ryan Air or most airlines today, very shitty and bad, but they still operate because people need to be able to go somewhere.
Magma Hindenburg - Bitcoin wallet developer

LiteCoinGuy
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Dbo5TtxG9cWoyw49GM8vbD7HgQhr1KVi6

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:59 pm

mike hearn is a tool

he must be stopped
at least "that tool" (as you said) helped us to talk about the blocksize and we will hopefully come to a solution.
More informations about Bitcoin and scaling BTC on

bitcoin.org/en/

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/23/c ... reases-faq

&
reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

btc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Mike Hearn is a very reasonable engineer...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/commen ... ot/cs7pmgz

saddit42

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Bugs are a normal part of software development.. It has nothing to do with being a bad developer..

Mike has the right intentions and he's working hard for bitcoin, I don't get the level of agression some people feel for him.

My smart phone wallet based on his BitcoinJ is doing a pretty good job by the way.. no bugs until now..

bitsko

Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:32 am

I love that part because it describes what he and his lackeys are up to right now, as I type this.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bitcoin-xt

Bandwidth throttling.

Simmer down, it's kinda lame for you to be bashing a developer by calling them a tool and such. What kind of community are you trying to build? Or are you?

edmundedgar

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:44 am

Bugs are a normal part of software development.. It has nothing to do with being a bad developer..

Mike has the right intentions and he's working hard for bitcoin, I don't get the level of agression some people feel for him.

My smart phone wallet based on his BitcoinJ is doing a pretty good job by the way.. no bugs until now..
More to the point, the bug was in the old version. The fork would still have happened without Mike Hearn's code that inadvertently fixed it, because the Berkeley DB code wasn't just inconsistent with his Level DB code, it was also inconsistent with itself, so it would randomly reject blocks or not depending on how long it had been running, and how files happened to be laid out on the disk.

One reason why you should listen to Hearn is that he's good at spotting problems coming down the line (BerkeleyDB was one, saturated mempools are another), prioritising things that will affect actual users and getting on with fixing them.

btc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:43 am

all i know is he is bad at testing code.

do you really want bad code testers behind the reigns of a multibillion dollar cap (potentially trillions and quadrillions) transaction network?

edmundedgar

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:58 am

all i know is he is bad at testing code.

do you really want bad code testers behind the reigns of a multibillion dollar cap (potentially trillions and quadrillions) transaction network?
Are you still talking about the Berkeley DB fork? Like I say it was a long-standing bug in the previous version, not a problem with the LevelDB implementation. It wasn't even an incompatibility between the old version and the new, correct version, because the old version was also incompatible with itself.

btc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:54 pm

ok :roll:

we'll just agree to disagree about mr. hearn's competence.

i and most others tend to think of him as lacking in ability.

Odinson
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks that was excellent.

As an old vet of open source, bitcoin will survive a fork just fine IMO.

Two words. Hans Reiser. Linux thrived anyway. So will bitcoin.

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Is this project still alive? Is someone maintaining it?
Whichever chain wins,the world wins Image

Return to “Bitcoin XT”