st170

Install Bitcoin Core on Amazon AWS with a pruned blockchain

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if it's doable to install a Bitcoin Core on AWS EC2 (hopefully do so using the free tier). This won't be for mining, but more for playing with the Bitcoin core program and also use it as a Bitcoin Wallet.

I understand if I include the full Bitcoin Blockchain, I might have to purchase additional disk space at AWS, which might be quite expensive. But I've heard about the new feature in Blockchain that allows a node to only store pruned blockchain on it.

Basically I have three questions:

1) Is it possible to set up Bitcoin Core with a pruned blockchain (without having to downloading the full blockchain first)? If so, what's the correct command for doing this?

2) With a Bitcoin Core with a pruned blockchain, can I perform all essential tasks such as sending bitcoins to another address?

3) Anybody been running a FULL node on AWS? How much does this roughly cost each month?

I'd appreciate your reply.

Thanks!

Rmcdermott927
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Re: Install Bitcoin Core on Amazon AWS with a pruned blockchain

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:08 am

Unfortunately, while it would be possible to do such a thing, it would not be very useful for anything other than creating addresses

Core needs the blockchain to be downloaded in full and this is its biggest downside.

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1fdFgrw59gczh96esrpJST6MVHyQm4VJK

Re: Install Bitcoin Core on Amazon AWS with a pruned blockchain

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:54 pm

It is possible, but there is no point. I had an AWS instance running a node, and yes it would help the network, with its low latency to all the Australian devices in the region. Great.

The thing is, Core will only work to its full potential St a full blockchain. You could still add "-prune <value>" in your Bitcoin.conf file, but besides relaying transactions and for your own personal wallet, it wouldn't be viable to support SPV clients.

But yes, technically you could. I used to. But you can't run it on a T2. Micro instance if that's what you want to do, since it requires 2GB of ram and in its syncing stage it will simply lock up and freeze.
theres a snake in my boot

Return to “Bitcoin Core”