dallas

How to setup a Classic node and...

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:51 am

Hi, sorry if this has been discussed, but I did a search and didn't find much.

I am thinking about setting up my own full node. Can anybody tell me what is needed hardware wise? A mini-pc? What size of HD should I start with so I don't have to upgrade it very often. Is it just way less hassle to pay for hosting somewhere? I think preferably I'd like to own the box, but what are your thoughts?

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Re: How to setup a Classic node and...

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:17 am

I run a classic node without any problems on a raspberry pi 2 with a 128gb micro SD card.

I think I wrote a thread on here how to set that up - but I am not 100% sure.

A raspberry pi 3 is also available now. And you could take a small micro SD card (8 should be more than sufficient ) and supplement it with a 128+ GB flash drive.

I think you can also buy fully installed raspberry nodes. If not we should start selling them here (someone in the us probably).
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

dallas

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 am

I run a classic node without any problems on a raspberry pi 2 with a 128gb micro SD card.

I think I wrote a thread on here how to set that up - but I am not 100% sure.

A raspberry pi 3 is also available now. And you could take a small micro SD card (8 should be more than sufficient ) and supplement it with a 128+ GB flash drive.

I think you can also buy fully installed raspberry nodes. If not we should start selling them here (someone in the us probably).

Ok, I'll consider that. I just wonder about the storage? USB or SD is kinda costly for only 128 GB. 1 TB or 2 would be nicer for the long run 5+ years. Thanks.

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 am

Sure, you could use an external harddisk as long as it has a USB connection to store the blockchain.

Right now, I like that the Pi has nothing 'sticking out of it' or hanging on a USB port, but that is just looks.

I just logged into the pi, and checked how much disk space it is using for bitcoin.

Code: Select all

root@raspberrypi:/data/bitcoind# du -m --max-depth=1 1269 ./chainstate 67158 ./blocks 68431 .
So, 68GB.

That does not include the operating system.
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

TomZ
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:44 pm

I am thinking about setting up my own full node. Can anybody tell me what is needed hardware wise? A mini-pc? What size of HD should I start with so I don't have to upgrade it very often. Is it just way less hassle to pay for hosting somewhere? I think preferably I'd like to own the box, but what are your thoughts?
Some more details can be found here;

https://github.com/bitcoinclassic/docum ... classic.md

Also notice that you can turn on 'pruning' which makes your node still validate everything but it doesn't take that much data. You can limit it to 5GB total, for instance (including OS).

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Some more details can be found here;

https://github.com/bitcoinclassic/docum ... classic.md

Also notice that you can turn on 'pruning' which makes your node still validate everything but it doesn't take that much data. You can limit it to 5GB total, for instance (including OS).
Pruning = extremely good tip

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

Return to “Bitcoin Classic”