arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Are classic nodes being attacked now?

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:21 pm

I've personally seen no evidence of this yet, but in the classic slack welcome thread, I saw the discussion below.

Does anyone here know if this is anything coordinated?

I've said in the past that I am not going to allow script kiddies with a DDoS tool to kill Classic. If this is accurate, I will spin up a couple of nodes in the Amazon cloud, and pay for that personally. Good luck DDoSing that. I'm also open to suggestions where I could get an affordable VPS for hosting a classic node that has some semi-decent DDoS protection. Any suggestions?
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Re: Are classic nodes being attacked now?

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:53 pm

I've personally seen no evidence of this yet, but in the classic slack welcome thread, I saw the discussion below.

Does anyone here know if this is anything coordinated?

I've said in the past that I am not going to allow script kiddies with a DDoS tool to kill Classic. If this is accurate, I will spin up a couple of nodes in the Amazon cloud, and pay for that personally. Good luck DDoSing that. I'm also open to suggestions where I could get an affordable VPS for hosting a classic node that has some semi-decent DDoS protection. Any suggestions?
Instead of spending money and energy trying to counter the attack, just let it blow over. To better use your time, write some tutorials for Bitcoin and or crypto-currencies :)

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Instead of spending money and energy trying to counter the attack, just let it blow over. To better use your time, write some tutorials for Bitcoin and or crypto-currencies :)
Normally, I would agree to just let a DDoS blow over. It's the only thing you can do, from a per-server point of view.

However, spinning up a few nodes in Amazon for the duration of a DDoS is not all that expensive, and Amazon does not charge for incoming traffic. So that may make it the ideal solution.

It's not a lot of work to set up a classic node.

I'm a little busy on another project today, but I'll write a Raspberry Pi how-to in the next few days. I've set up my first Pi a few days ago, and I had to learn how to get that to work (especially how to get it to recognize the full size of my SD card). It's still fresh in my memory so I can easily make a Classic Pi how-to (that anyone, obviously, could modify for an Unlimited, XT or Core how-to).
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:35 pm

... I'll write a Raspberry Pi how-to in the next few days. I've set up my first Pi a few days ago, and I had to learn how to get that to work (especially how to get it to recognize the full size of my SD card). It's still fresh in my memory so I can easily make a Classic Pi how-to (that anyone, obviously, could modify for an Unlimited, XT or Core how-to).
@arnoudk

Thanks. That would be extremely helpful.

Return to “Bitcoin Classic”