Should anonymity or mixing be built into Core and enabled by default?

Yes
79%
No
17%
Other (please explain below)
4%

Total votes: 24
ERt1F2Wvyr
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: Anonymity by default?

Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:35 pm

I personally think it should pretty much stay as it is. Although I'm not against a future sidechain that can provide anonymity. Also I'm a big fan of wallets like DarkWallet. That offers both stealth addresses and the coinjoin protocol combined together in one application.
If you want true anonymity then you should look to the likes of cryptonote cryptocurrencies. And the zerocoin protocol to be released. Monero is a cryptonote coin that is working on moving their network over to the I2p darknet. While Anoncoin already operates on the I2p darknet and is working on adding the zerocoin protocol. The I2p darknet is akin to the Tor network. Only while Tor uses Onion routing I2p uses Garlic routing.
Tor was designed in mind of offering a anonymity proxy for clearnet browsing. While I2p doesn't really offer that but is much more efficient and faster at routing peer to peer traffic. Like Bittorrent and file sharing works fast and very efficiently within its dark network. And cryptocurrency are peer to peer networks by default.

GermanyBTC

Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:40 am

idk man sory

CohibAA

Donate BTC of your choice to 1939BZFZnHEdKyHn2cYrg8kbUPz1UgkuqQ

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:55 am

Anonymity is extremely difficult, however financial privacy is important. I hope that some of the major wallet devs will start to implement privacy tools such as JoinMarket into their future work.

stan.distortion
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:40 am

On one hand Bitcoin fails one of the classical points that define money but on the other that definition is almost forgotten in todays monetary systems and the traceability aspect will have given a major boost to Bitcoins acceptance. I'd often wondered if bitcoin would develop black and white economies over time and still think its quite likely but mainly for large transfers. Sidechains, external services anonymous alts etc. can provide anonymity for small amounts relatively easily and that will grow over time but if Bitcoin where to integrate anonymity by default I'd expect a backlash from the legacy financial system and that would give an advantage to mainstream adoption of propitiatory systems.
Bitcoin maximalism is a lot like saying Debian-stable is the only distro and anyone using Debian-testing is a traitor. Rock solid systems have their place and so do advanced features, https://www.dash.org/

Return to “Development & Technical Discussion”