Vaultoro
AMA
AMA

So what does everyone think of Whats app's Instant billion people onboarded into encryption?

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:54 am

It has been hard to get normal people using encryption and now suddenly a billion people have been on-boarded just like that.

It seems to good to be true that facebooks what's app, turned on end to end encryption for all chat and audio!
Joshua Scigala
CEO Vaultoro.com
The Real-time Bitcoin Gold Exchange and API
Combining the historical security of gold with the speed and transparency of the bitcoin blockchain

SpartanZA
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1FVr4Efww21vEs3aZrrchbyV3V8Y2eBLrS

Re: So what does everyone think of Whats app's Instant billion people onboarded into encryption?

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:38 pm

I've been using Signal by Open Whisper Systems for a while now and apparently WhatsApp is using their system, so I think it's legit.

If it wasn't, Open Whisper Systems would have something to say about that methinks.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
and this moment too shall pass

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Re: So what does everyone think of Whats app's Instant billion people onboarded into encryption?

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:05 pm

I think it is a fantastic step in the right direction.

Recently, I had a great discussion about privacy vs secrecy.

Privacy is the right that people have to communications that are not eavesdropped upon by third parties.
Secrecy is the ability to protect your communications from eavesdropping by third parties.

It is important to realize that, right now, people have no privacy. (I am not even sure people have a right to privacy, I don't even know if it exists as a right, and thus if privacy exists. I know this is a bold statement, and I may be wrong about it, but I am happy to explain my reasoning if anyone is interested!).

End to end encryption has nothing to do with privacy. It is a measure for secrecy. And I applaud that fully.
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

Vaultoro
AMA
AMA

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Yeah interesting,

I tend to use the word privacy instead of anonymity or secrecy because people tend to be a lot more positive about that world. If I say secrecy or anonymous communication people freak out and say oooh oh that sounds dodgy.

Wierd.
Joshua Scigala
CEO Vaultoro.com
Combining the historical security of gold with the speed and transparency of the bitcoin blockchain

Vaultoro
AMA
AMA

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:44 pm

I've been using Signal by Open Whisper Systems for a while now and apparently WhatsApp is using their system, so I think it's legit.

If it wasn't, Open Whisper Systems would have something to say about that methinks.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Oh wow I didn't realise they are using Open Whisper Systems in the back end. That definitely ads cred.
Joshua Scigala
CEO Vaultoro.com

SpartanZA
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1FVr4Efww21vEs3aZrrchbyV3V8Y2eBLrS

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:40 pm

I was extremely sceptical when I began to see those notifications on my chats. I looked into it and found out about the relationship

- https://whispersystems.org/blog/whatsapp-complete/

WhatsApp may have feared losing market share due to encryption and the popularity of it. I know we use it as life and death, but most people don't know it is in existence. I think it is a great move by WhatsApp, even though I am not a fan of their any more, I was about to stop using it and only use Signal, but this move changed my mind, for now.
and this moment too shall pass

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:28 pm

Yeah interesting,

I tend to use the word privacy instead of anonymity or secrecy because people tend to be a lot more positive about that world. If I say secrecy or anonymous communication people freak out and say oooh oh that sounds dodgy.

Wierd.
Anonymity in my book is secrecy regarding the identity of the sender and receiver, but not regarding the message content.

Yes, most people seem to associate secrecy with something bad. That's conditioning.

But aiming for privacy, when you should be aiming for secrecy, is a major problem. Aiming for privacy means trying to get some "laws" passed that prevent third parties from eavesdropping. Aiming for privacy wastes energy and effort that could have been used for good. Rather than asking for permission for a private communications channel, simply set up a private communications channel.
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:26 pm

Don't trust whatsapp at all.
Whichever chain wins,the world wins Image

Return to “Cryptography & Privacy Tools”