What should the ticker for Bitcoin Cash be?

BCH
55%
BCC
34%
Don't care
7%
What is Bitcoin Cash?
3%

Total votes: 29
rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

What should the ticker for Bitcoin Cash be? BCH or BCC?

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:49 am

We want to have consistent messaging and branding across our platforms.
What ticker do people think is best?
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Re: What should the ticker for Bitcoin Cash be? BCH or BCC?

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:01 am

Hi, Roger, I've placed my vote above (for BCH).

It's my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm incorrect) that Bitconnect coin was using BCC long before Bitcoin Cash existed.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:24 am

Hi, Roger, I've placed my vote above (for BCH).

It's my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm incorrect) that Bitconnect coin was using BCC long before Bitcoin Cash existed.
That is correct. It looks like Bitconnect was first announced 2016/11/15 here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic ... sg16883453

Although no one has any "Rights" to the initials used on a coin it still causes confusion.
Bitconnect has also been labeled a ponzi by some,m i am not saying that myself just repeating what i have read many times.

I voted for BCH
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

Windowly
Junior Mod
Junior Mod

Donate BTC of your choice to qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyq

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:42 am

I definitely support the BCC ticker. It's the standard ticker recommended by all the developer teams.

BCH was initially proposed by people who were trying to undermine Bitcoin Cash.

I do think Bitcoin.com should be consistent. I really like the news provided here, but have always been frustrated seeing the BCH ticker used in the news articles.
Signing Address: qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyqm4

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:48 am

It should also be noted CoinMarketCap lists BCH for Bitcoin Cash.

For the record I want to state here that I barely care about this matter.

That being said, and being objective about the matter here's what we have:

1. Bitconnect was using BCC long before Bitcoin Cash existed.

2. CoinMarketCap, which is probably a site that EVERYONE in the cryptocurrency space visits daily is using BCH for Bitcoin Cash.

What sense does it make to fight against it at this point? PICK YOUR BATTLES.

Now lets look at things more subjectively -

A. Bitconnect might be a Ponzi? Well, it likely is although I really don't know for certain nor do I know what to think of it.

So what? What does that have to do with using BCH for Bitcoin Cash especially when considering the above listed objective 1 and 2?

Moreover, there are A LOT of people who believe that Bitcoin (especially people who aren't super familiar with Bitcoin) is a Ponzi.

B. We are Bitcoin (and Bitcoin Cash) and we want to use BCC just because we want to and we want it so we will do it and we will fight to the end because we don't believe in picking our battles and we will surely rule forever and everyone will always love us. (Except that's just not how it works, never has.)

Lastly, I used to write little about politics (also studied sociology) and the more I learn about the present day state of affairs regarding Bitcoin and altcoins it seems to be shaping into something like politics.

Just try to make decisions objectively and don't just go along blindly with the party.

Again I don't really care if Bitcoin Cash uses BCC. Fine with me. The only thing that matters to me a little is the reasoning behind the fight.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:50 am

I definitely support the BCC ticker. It's the standard ticker recommended by all the developer teams.

BCH was initially proposed by people who were trying to undermine Bitcoin Cash.

I do think Bitcoin.com should be consistent. I really like the news provided here, but have always been frustrated seeing the BCH ticker used in the news articles.
The haters and there are a few "Tone Vays, cough,cough" come to mind who like to refer to Bitcoin Cash simply as Bcash, guess he just doesn't even want to call it "bitcoin" in any way.
Funny thing was in the same video he referenced the large mining data center being built in Japan and is worried that the might mine Bitcoin Cash, why should he be worried about that i wonder, does he see BCC/BCH as a serious threat now but won't say ;)

btcmarkets.net has it listed as Bcash - BCH
https://cointelegraph.com/ have their price ticket on BCH
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

BitcoinXio
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:57 am

I would say BCC is preferred because when it was launched that was the recommended ticker that was adopted by many.

Then others were confused through misinformation campaigns and some used BCH. This has become an acceptable ticker symbol and I'm fine with it but BCC should be first and BCH only if for some reason BCC can't be used (already taken for example).

irc

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PcoNothgMT6cNwZEWd5pthF4tmbLHP2Cb

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:00 am

Definitely BCC or XBC as stated on the bitcoin.org website. BCH was created to slander Bitcoin Cash and I will not use it.

If we want to differentiate from Bitconnect then we should start to popularize XBC.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:04 am

Definitely BCC or XBC as stated on the bitcoin.org website. BCH was created to slander Bitcoin Cash and I will not use it.

If we want to differentiate from Bitconnect then we should start to popularize XBC.
I don't think BCH was created to slander Bitcoin Cash, they use Bcash for that.

BCH does sort of fit, the "B" for Bitcoin and the "CH" for Cash

This should be more about being unified everywhere, if we are the only ones using BCC for Bitcoin Cash in the end because all others have already either assigned BCC to Bitconnect or have follow the rest and used BCH, as long as we don't use Bcash it's all good.

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:07 am

Perhaps XBC should be an option added to this poll?

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:09 am

Sounds too much like ex-bitcoin to me :cry:

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:11 am

Sounds too much like ex-bitcoin to me :cry:
You make a very valid point.

Mjbmonetarymetals
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:25 am

Maybe we could use LTC? ...........BCC is taken its already another coins ticker so shouldn't be included in the vote, this will have the "bcash" folks chuckling once again by getting Bch to use another projects name.

I've made an attempt at Bch branding in another thread this can still be modified if the green shade needs tweaking , the branding with the orange rectangle and the backwards slanting "B" needs. to be addressed before it takes hold as its a messer departure further away from btc's logo than a simple colour change.

marcelchuo
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 16C8d2c4cmj3P2PmuobDebKNUUzdGR7NRd

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Voted BCH. Isn't it already listed on exchanges like poloneix and bittrex as BCH. Didn't know it could still be changed.

kilrcola

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:17 pm

BCH should be the ticker, to avoid anything to do with BCC (Bitconnect) I have no proof but I have my doubts about the legitimacy of this site, it seems its run like an affiliate ponzi scheme, and the top get all the $$.

As a graphic designer, I suggest going something simple like this.

fiatoshi
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Major cryptocoin exchange bitFlyer uses the BTC and BCH tickers.

As a post-fork newbie, BCH seems fine to me.

Also, maybe this is more of a longer term issue, but "XBT" is the supposed official ticker for BTC isn't it? I see for example that the currency conversion website xe.com now includes Bitcoin together with the traditional fiatcoins, and the ticker they use is "XBT." So if "BTC" was prevented from being adopted as a ticker by the establishment exchange community due to some pre-existing ticker, then is there is a similar possibility of both "BCH" and "BCC" not being adopted as the generally accepted ticker for Bitcoin Cash? In that case perhaps "XBC" (noted above by irc) would be the way to go.

GreyWyvern
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Db3ACR6PpK5pkMFMn3DAErQ47y9zhxSPo

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Not really a big deal for me. The ticker for Bitcoin Cash will just be BTC soon enough when people start calling it plain Bitcoin.
Estimate the return on a pool.bitcoin.com contract: http://www.greywyvern.com/code/javascri ... itcoincalc

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:54 pm

BCH please. I think most places use BCH

Also, I like how you are preparing Bitcoin.com for Bitcoin Cash, good job Roger

Both Bitcoins deserve to live and compete to see who is strongest. Lets give them this option.
Whichever chain wins,the world wins Image

CryptoSapien
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1MuzZKXhi6zKhBC7TLSF93yzhaKvZtaVpG

Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:18 am

I vote for BCH

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:51 am

Not really a big deal for me. The ticker for Bitcoin Cash will just be BTC soon enough when people start calling it plain Bitcoin.
This is also the way I would like to see the problem solved.
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

Windowly
Junior Mod
Junior Mod

Donate BTC of your choice to qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyq

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:55 am

BCH please. I think most places use BCH

Also, I like how you are preparing Bitcoin.com for Bitcoin Cash, good job Roger

Both Bitcoins deserve to live and compete to see who is strongest. Lets give them this option.
From what I've seen, most places that are for Bitcoin Cash use BCC.

Nevertheless I agree with Roger that it would be best if it just becomes THE BTC. And the quicker the better.
Signing Address: qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyqm4

Sutekh

Donate BTC of your choice to 1EEu7SZVM63DkCKEJM8QDS2JLTZV8aTmg

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:26 pm

BCH, regardless of how you feel about Bitconnect, they claimed BCC first. For clarity and brand consistency Bitcoin Bash needs to stick with BCH

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:14 pm

I didn't know this until recently but it appears that some coins do use the same abbreviations and even at CoinMarketCap.com -

BAT - Basic Attention Token (from the creator of JavaScript)

BAT - BatCoin

TomZ
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:51 pm

As a developer I wanted to make clear what the original idea was.

Bitcoin Cash is a new coin and as such we need to write in the user interface a unit of value. For instance "milli-BCC". Or whole BCCs.

As a completely independent topic the name BCC was initially used by some exchanges as a ticker as well. Which made sense because BTC reuses its "unit" as its ticker as well. But in my opinion the exchanges have always been free to pick any name they wanted for it.

What I was very annoyed with is that they didn't seem able to come to a consensus, where we have BCC and BCH both on exchanges, and this is not good for the name recognition.

For better or worse, the name BCH seems to be the choice of ticker in the majority of exchanges. Especially after the China shutdown in a couple of weeks. And this helps us be consistent, and that is a positive thing.

The name of the ticker will not have any effect on the unit-name, though. In the GUI we will continue to see BCC.

Its also noteworthy that there is an ISO specification that describes the 3 letter names. It states explicitly that anything that is not country-specific should start with an X. So BCH nor BCC will not be used by wallstreet anyway.

AlexFerson
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:16 pm

BCH

It's true about bitconnect has also been labeled a ponzi by some

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”