ian.jackson

Re: Options for Securing your Bitcoin wallet

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:25 pm

As a new person thinking of moving money not investing , Reading how to move it scares the crap out of me ..I guess with privacy comes work but if not computer savvy you are ripe for picking ...Have I misunderstood that ...all I seem to read is don't don't don't..I hope I am wrong and with a bit more research it will clear ..Any forums I should be reading? Thanx for now

Possum577
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Exx48BUTb57hPND67Mt5WwPXiTA9CjoEs

Tue May 02, 2017 11:44 pm

How about security via Trezor. Is it really necessary to have a passphrase in addition to the security words?

I'm familiar with the "I can break your password with a $5 wrench" analogy. The only way to avoid that "therapy" is to just give your Trezor to the villian. This is especially true if the security words can be use if one "loses or destroys" their Trezor. While said villian is trying to crack the words back at the lair, you can be waiting for a new Trezor via Amazon.com and quickly recover your coins!

BUT...if you add a passphrase, recoverability is impossible...and you'll still get a wrench to the face.

Do I have this right?

Rmcdermott927
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Wed May 03, 2017 12:57 pm

In my opinion, securing your wallet with bip38 encryption and deleting all unencrypted backups is the bet way to go.

CryptoNewbie0517

Fri May 26, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm new to Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies, but would like to purchase a number of different crypto's including Ether, Dash, Monaco, and Steem Power, in addition to Bitcoin; I'm not sure I understand the wallet system. Is there a wallet that would allow me to hold different cryptocurrencies all in the same wallet? I understand I can buy Bitcoin and exchange it for other cryptocurrencies, but it's not clear to me I can hold all purchases in same wallet. I will not be doing lots of exchanges; my goal is to purchase some different crytocurrencies and hold them in a secure wallet. Any guidance greatly appreciated.

utomo

Tue May 30, 2017 5:39 am

Mostly wallet only can hold some coins.
I hope more coins supported by famous wallet which is secure such as Trezor

Neoclassical
Banned
Banned

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:15 pm

As a new person thinking of moving money not investing , Reading how to move it scares the crap out of me ..I guess with privacy comes work but if not computer savvy you are ripe for picking ...Have I misunderstood that ...all I seem to read is don't don't don't..I Imagehope I am wrong and with a bit more research it will clear ..Any forums I should be reading? Thanx for now
Is there really anything more convenient and better than hardware storage in Trezor with fake pass and 24 word seed embedded in cryptosteel with one or two words removed that only you can remember?
We don't need no centralisation. ImageImageImage

BTC_Hydra
Banned
Banned

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:32 pm

i heard that trezor wont support Bitcoin Cash because it may the maleware. Is that true? Probably better to not install that software.

GreyWyvern
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Db3ACR6PpK5pkMFMn3DAErQ47y9zhxSPo

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:11 pm

i heard that trezor wont support Bitcoin Cash because it may the maleware. Is that true? Probably better to not install that software.
This is totally not true. Those with Trezor hardware wallets will get their BCC just fine.

https://blog.trezor.io/bitcoin-cash-har ... be3e9c553f
Estimate the return on a pool.bitcoin.com contract: http://www.greywyvern.com/code/javascri ... itcoincalc

kartsatinal

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Thank you so much for this archive topic :)

kingcoinbase
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:23 am

Physical wallet sounds good to me

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Guys, what can you tell me about keepkey?

jemmapark3

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if, after generating a paper wallet using Bitcoin.com paper wallet tool and printing it out, do I need to then delete the original file? If so, is there a way leaving no trace of this file on my computer before I re-join the internet?

nikola22
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Physical wallet sounds good to me
but not everyone ready to pay for them.

Blockchain Talks

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DDxmvo1NLtuz5oWHjDRahgpGbycCAWzVp

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Here is the simple tutorial how to store, send and receive Bitcoin, altcoin and ERC-20 token safe. https://goo.gl/TmX3hG

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:03 pm

If you have the seed of your old wallet, you should be able to open up a new wallet with say, Electrum, or another provider, and enter in that seed, it should find your wallet so you can use it again.
The electrum wallet is a good choice to use it
you can control your bitcoin, I think it safe than other wallet like online wallet.
Electrum is a good wallet to use but it is not offline storage so the wallet will only be as safe as the computer you are using it on.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

Vicky Vollten
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:13 pm

So many options to choose from that I'm a wee bit overwhelmed, to tell the truth. I'm glad that these options exist or else we would have invented them as I heard many stories of funds stolen out of wallets and how difficult it was to regain their coins. Thank you for the article!

ICO Enthusiast
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 am

The best option for securing your Bitcoin wallet is Hardware wallet which you keep offline, in a secure place.

ICO Enthusiast
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon May 07, 2018 7:33 am

Thanks, it was really helpful.

Baloo
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue May 29, 2018 2:06 pm

I think convertimg your actual wallet into paper wallet is a best practice to secure the bitcoins. By this practice, you actually reaches into the cold storage from where you can process your coins offline as well. Do you know about it?

Ciaran
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 32sgk27xxqb1KZiE1d4RtsqGMZ3suB1N2P

Tue May 29, 2018 3:10 pm

I think convertimg your actual wallet into paper wallet is a best practice to secure the bitcoins. By this practice, you actually reaches into the cold storage from where you can process your coins offline as well. Do you know about it?
Yes a paper wallet is a great way to secure your funds, you just have to guard that piece of paper with your life, even make copies and keep them in separate locations in case anything were ever to happen to one of them, paper can easily be destroyed accidentally.
Download your Bitcoin.com wallet HERE

Crypterum.com
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 am

Nice article for newbies!

kylethepro

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:33 am

I believe the best way to secure your bitcoins would be to invest in a well known hardware wallet, such as the Ledger Nano S. I'm really paranoid about losing my coins so I generally try to use the top most layers of security.

SamNeels
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:25 pm

I have ledger nano s and have no worries about security.

scientistguy70
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks for the list, very helpful for beginners, I think. As a newbie, if I decide to get a paper wallet because it is so secure, would it make sense to also get another wallet that is more "accessible"?
Hakuna Matata

kingcoinbase
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:50 am

Nice list. I'm somewhat of a security freak so I always tread the most safe path. Looking to invest in a new coldwallet, a little confusing with so many good options out there.

tabaluga
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 pm

Security is the most important thing in any field.

kevinkellogg

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:42 pm

I used Tor and a VPN at http://bit.do/CryptoMixers , worked for me, proof: https://ibb.co/fZizOL

Lionheart

Donate BTC of your choice to 39wPWRaBfiaujnDPSssru67UFqEU3D4enu

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:11 pm

Paper wallet one of the best, you can select it.
Yes!! I agree with you!

squadus
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1MJi9bRepfqo11pKhiL55mbf1SbHFQHgYy

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 am

There are a few options for securing your Bitcoin investment within a secure wallet. For starters, grabbing a hardware wallet would be the safest way to go.

If you are short on time find a good cloud or mobile wallet and go from there.

If you are extra secure, go ahead and find a good Cryptocurrency IRA custodian in which you can purchase, store, secure and insure your Bitcoins.
[URL=https://www.smartbitcoininvestments.com/bitcoin-documentary-list/]Best Bitcoin Documentaries[/URL]
Exchanges:
[URL=https://www.smartbitcoininvestments.com/paxful-review/]PAXFUL[/URL] ○ [URL=https://www.smartbitcoininvestments.com/cex-io-review/]CEX.IO[/URL] ○ [URL=https://www.smartbitcoininvestments.com/coinbase-review/]COINBASE[/URL] ○ [URL=https://www.smartbitcoininvestments.com/changelly-review/]CHANGELLY[/URL]

MelanyG
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:59 pm

thank you for this review, very informative, for beginners who do not know what to grab. like me. ))))

Return to “Beginners & Help”