studley

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DhuR3RPKSFmq4spn8mp2YyNLMTs3CopZh

BTC and BCH transactions differ in same wallet

Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi, I recently decided to try to claim the BCH that should have been in my wallets at the time of the fork. I transfered my Bitcoin into a completely new wallet then dumped the private key and imported it into a completely new BCH wallet.
The first time it went well and I got my coins but when I swept the second wallet, it was immediately clear all the transactions in the new BCH wallet did not match those of the donor wallet.
There are 3 transactions that are suspect. They were in May 2015, so before the fork. Two of them are for the same small amount of Bitcoin and the third is that small amount returning from an unknown address.
When I look at the transaction on the blockchain, the output of less than a Bitcoin has a second output of almost 13 Bitcoin. The debit is split and the initial amout comes back to the wallet a couple of days later but the 13 Bitcoin never left the wallet as my balance remained the same, most of the coins were spent at a later date and I moved the remains out to do this.
It's only when I swept for BCH that it came to light. How is it possible that the BTC remained in my wallet but the BCH is gone, and it was a BTC transaction before BCH was created?
Surely if the transaction went through, my Bitcoins would have disappeared and if it was some kind of internal BitcoinQT thing then the BCH would still be in there, but the transaction has over 300,000 confirmations.
It's not the end of the world if I can't retrieve the BCH but I'd really like to understand what has happened.

Any help most appreciated.
Studley

Return to “Beginners & Help”