Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
Fireball
AMA
AMA

I'm AlexBragin, Founder of OrderBook.net (ICBIT), the first bitcoin futures market. Ask Me Anything!

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:42 pm

I'm a Moscow, Russia born IT entrpreneur (LinkedIn). In 2011 my friend introduced me to the world of bitcoins and shortly thereafter a thought came to me: if bitcoins are an equivalent of money, a new money so-to-say, they should have their own financial instruments. Especially such important instrument as futures contracts and options.

Since then I started developing the first futures exchange, which opened to public in November, 2011.

Throughout our history there were many good and bad moments, however one thing really sticked: the inverse futures contracts model which I developed turned out to be a great success. It was and still is used by most of our competitors, it was published in Swiss Derivatives Review, and a new research article about them is on the way (preview will be available shortly).

Besides of that I'm mostly known for ReactOS project, which I'm coordinator of. It's an open source reimplementation of Microsoft Windows NT compatible operating system.

I will be glad to answer any of your questions!

Windowly
Junior Mod
Junior Mod

Donate BTC of your choice to qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyq

Re: I'm AlexBragin, Founder of OrderBook.net (ICBIT), the first bitcoin futures market. Ask Me Anything!

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi Alex,

Thank you for coming here and answering our questions.

What are your thoughts on the Russian bitcoin ecosystem? There have been some reports of bitcoin being banned at different times in Russia. . . do you have any thoughts about that? Is bitcoin used as an investment or payment channel often in Russia?

What are your thoughts about the current world-wide bitcoin ecosystem? A lot of us have been discouraged by the lack of progress adopting BIP101 or bitcoin unlimited. What are your thoughts on the bitcoin blockchain sizing debate?

Where do you get your bitcoin news mostly? Do you get your news from reddit (and the censored r/bitcoin or some of the other reddits)?

What attracted you to bitcoin when you first were introduced to the world of bitcoin?
Signing Address: qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyqm4

Fireball
AMA
AMA

Re: I'm AlexBragin, Founder of OrderBook.net (ICBIT), the first bitcoin futures market. Ask Me Anything!

Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:30 pm

What are your thoughts on the Russian bitcoin ecosystem? There have been some reports of bitcoin being banned at different times in Russia. . . do you have any thoughts about that? Is bitcoin used as an investment or payment channel often in Russia?
Actually back in personal mining times, Russian bitcoin community was one of the most active. When individual mining became impractical, interest to Bitcoin dropped significantly, however, speaking of OrderBook.net customer base, there are many Russian-speaking customers.

I'm pretty much discouraged by the acceptance of Bitcoin by our government. I am doing my best to bring the real information to them, however officially it's neither banned nor permitted.

De-facto, no bank will open an account for anything close to bitcoin, and any company's work officially accepting bitcoins would be made very complex due to various additional checks, audits, etc.

However, right now, things are changing, and bitcoin technology - blockchain - is becoming trendy here too. I heard of a few businesses who would be officially working in Russia based on blockchain tech.

throwaway1234

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:32 am

What if a hard fork happens and the end result is two chains -- the Bitcoin Core (1mb chain) and the Bitcoin-XT chain. Each side then has its own price. Does the contract settle on the Bitcoin Core price, or the XT price (assuming XT remains the longest chain)?

Fireball
AMA
AMA

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:40 pm

What if a hard fork happens and the end result is two chains -- the Bitcoin Core (1mb chain) and the Bitcoin-XT chain. Each side then has its own price. Does the contract settle on the Bitcoin Core price, or the XT price (assuming XT remains the longest chain)?
We use Bitstamp's price so far. If Bitstamp suddenly switches to using Bitcoin-XT chain for crediting and debiting bitcoins, then it means that everyone else switches too.

The above provided Bitstamp actually operates.

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm a Moscow, Russia born IT entrpreneur (LinkedIn). In 2011 my friend introduced me to the world of bitcoins and shortly thereafter a thought came to me: if bitcoins are an equivalent of money, a new money so-to-say, they should have their own financial instruments. Especially such important instrument as futures contracts and options.

Since then I started developing the first futures exchange, which opened to public in November, 2011.

Throughout our history there were many good and bad moments, however one thing really sticked: the inverse futures contracts model which I developed turned out to be a great success. It was and still is used by most of our competitors, it was published in Swiss Derivatives Review, and a new research article about them is on the way (preview will be available shortly).

Besides of that I'm mostly known for ReactOS project, which I'm coordinator of. It's an open source reimplementation of Microsoft Windows NT compatible operating system.

I will be glad to answer any of your questions!
Bravo on the trading system, simple and sexy!

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

Fireball
AMA
AMA

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:50 am

Where do you get your bitcoin news mostly? Do you get your news from reddit (and the censored r/bitcoin or some of the other reddits)?
I get my news mainly from CoinDesk. It's a nice, profesionally done website, which is good to read. Occasionally, I visit CoinTelegraph too, as I had pleasure to talk to some of its reporters, they are quite good.

As for Reddit, there are mainly negative perception. First of all, /r/bitcoin is a mess. And that is why I so much supported the idea of /r/btc.
Also, there is /r/Bitcoinmarkets, which is a rather interesting subreddit related to my business. I rarely post there, but recently all my posts regarding ICBIT get good scores.

The part I don't like about /r/BitcoinMarkets is that its moderators are non-existing. Never got any reply from them for eyars.

CryptoForTrade
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Thank you Alex for your work. Amazing

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”