Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
wences
AMA
AMA

I am Wences Casares, co-founder & CEO of Xapo, Ask Me Anything

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:16 pm

I am a fintech entrepreneur. I learned about Bitcoin in 2011 and I think that it has the potential to have more impact than the Internet itself. I decided to dedicate the rest of my career to help Bitcoin succeed. I think a world in which Bitcoin succeeds is a much better world.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Re: I am Wences Casares, co-founder & CEO of Xapo, Ask Me Anything

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Lot's of people may not realize how much Wences has done to promote Bitcoin.
I didn't fully realize it until reading the book that Wences is the star of:
Digital Gold
I recommend everyone interested in Bitcoin read it.

Wences,
When learning about Bitcoin, was there an "a-ha" moment in which you realized how important it is?
If so, what was that moment?

Can you tell us what aspect of Bitcoin has you the most excited?

Thank you for all the amazing things you are doing to promote Bitcoin!
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

kaibakker
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:26 pm

Where there any bitcoin specific objectives to move Xapo to Swiss instead of other (European) counties?

amnsc

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks Wences for everything you have done, and still doing, for Bitcoin!

In the TechCrunch Disrupt than you made with Bobby Lee and Nathaniel Popper, you said there are still chances than Bitcoin could fail. What do you have in mind?
Last edited by amnsc on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wences
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:36 pm

Lot's of people may not realize how much Wences has done to promote Bitcoin.
I didn't fully realize it until reading the book that Wences is the star of:
Digital Gold
I recommend everyone interested in Bitcoin read it.

Wences,
When learning about Bitcoin, was there an "a-ha" moment in which you realized how important it is?
If so, what was that moment?

Can you tell us what aspect of Bitcoin has you the most excited?

Thank you for all the amazing things you are doing to promote Bitcoin!
Thank you, Roger! That means a lot coming from you who have done more to promote Bitcoin than anyone I know!

I had a couple of a-ha moments that I can remember. The first one was when I was trying to send money from California, where I live, to Argentina and it was almost impossible due to currency controls, PayPal, wire transfer, etc were not working there at the time. A friend of mine in Argentina suggested that I use this electronic currency called Bitcoin that he had read in the newspaper. I looked into it and found, on Craigslist, someone willing to meet in person at a cafe in Palo Alto to sell me bitcoins for cash. We met, I gave him the cash and he gave me the bitcoins in my phone using his phone and QR codes. I did not fully understand what I was doing but I sent those bitcoins immediately to my friend in Argentina and he sold them for pesos there: that was an a-ha moment!

wences
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Where there any bitcoin specific objectives to move Xapo to Swiss instead of other (European) counties?
We were looking for the safest jurisdiction from where to serve all our customers except US customers which, for regulatory reasons, need to be served from the US. So we have a US subsidiary to serve US customers and a Swiss subsidiary to serve all non-us customers.

By safest we mean where our customers information can be best protected and we found the Swiss privacy laws to be the most robust in the world (beyond banking, just about how your personal information is treated). It is also important to be able to trust the rule of law, property rights, etc.

We also looked at other countries but ended up settling in Switzlerland, mostly for these reasons: https://xapo.com/resources/switzerland/

Justin

Donate BTC of your choice to 1FNBmvw8LEAB4isVNduHu4cmmm9T1ezRqx

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Are you personally still buying bitcoin?

What do you think about all the blockchain hype with companies using distributive ledgers but not bitcoin?

wences
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks Wences for everything you have done, and still doing, for Bitcoin!

In the TechCrunch Disrupt than you made with Bobby Lee and Nathaniel Popper, you said there are still chances than Bitcoin could fail. What do you have in mind?

(don't you need a coffee boy by your side? :roll:)
Of all the ways in which Bitcoin could fail the one that worries me most, because I think it has the highest probability of all the bad things that could happen, is a price panic that drives the price to zero, or $15, from which it may be very hard for Bitcoin to recover the public's trust.

Right now most of the money that is invested in Bitcoin is money people can afford to loose and that makes it safe money. So when Bitcoin goes from $1,200 to $200 there is not a vicious cycle of people who need to sell, because they cannot afford to loose more money, that drives the price to zero.

It is hard to estimate how many people on bitcoins, but it may be somewhere between 13 and 15 million people right now. If Bitcoin is successful we will see hundreds of millions of people own Bitcoin and, eventually, billions. The only way we can get to billions of people owning Bitcoin is by the price going up by several orders of magnitude, let's say $ 1 million (but this is highly speculative and risky). So, if I am right, and Bitcoin has to go from $390 to $1,000,000 the best way for it to get there without crashing irreversibly is with as much volatility as possible. If bitcoin went up a couple percentage points every week and everybody began to think about it as a "sure" thing, investing money that was destined to pay for kids colleges or for retirement, that is a disaster waiting to happen price wise. Because when Bitcoin corrects those people have to sell because they cannot take more losses, potentially creating a vicious circle which is hard to reverse.

Ironically, we have to thank Bitcoin's volatility for people not investing money they cannot afford to loose. As long as the Bitcoin price remains highly volatile and perceived as risky, we are OK. Begin to worry when it is perceived as a sure thing that everybody should own a lot of.

JordanT
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:54 pm

What's next from Xapo?

Will the debit card ever be available to US customers?

edugarbizu
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:57 pm

We were looking for the safest jurisdiction from where to serve all our customers except US customers which, for regulatory reasons, need to be served from the US. So we have a US subsidiary to serve US customers and a Swiss subsidiary to serve all non-us customers.

By safest we mean where our customers information can be best protected and we found the Swiss privacy laws to be the most robust in the world (beyond banking, just about how your personal information is treated). It is also important to be able to trust the rule of law, property rights, etc.

We also looked at other countries but ended up settling in Switzlerland, mostly for these reasons: https://xapo.com/resources/switzerland/

Do you think that Crypto Valley in Zug (Switzerland) can compete with Silicon Valley?
What is Xapo doing to help growing the swiss bitcoin ecosystem?
Are you planning to join http://en.dfca.ch and http://bitcoinassociation.ch ?
Last edited by edugarbizu on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wences
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Are you personally still buying bitcoin?

What do you think about all the blockchain hype with companies using distributive ledgers but not bitcoin?
I am one of the most biased pro-Bitcoin people you can find so I am always buying. But I strongly recommend that people do not buy an amount they cannot afford to loose; Bitcoin is risky, could still fail and be worth zero.

I think "blockchain" is a politically correct word for mid-level executives at financial institutions to be able to look into Bitcoin without getting killed by compliance, legal and/or upper management.

People saying "I am interested in Blockchain but not Bitcoin" are like people saying "I really like the browser but not the Internet". Well, the browser would not work without the internet and the Blockchain would not work if the miners where not being paid with bitcoins. But a lot of people miss that.

The innovations that Bitcoin brought is that it is trustless and permissionless. Some of these people who are "fascinated" with Blockchain go on to work on "private blockchains" which require that you trust that blockchain operator or operators and that you ask for their permission to participate. So, a "private blockchain" is not trustless and it is not permissionless, it is just a database, nothing you could not do with Oracle a few decades ago. You do not need a blockchain for that.

But if all this focus on Blockchain helps get more people exposed to Bitcoin and, eventually, learn about it, the so be it. :)

BTC1075

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Wences,

What is your view on the major financial institutions teaming up with R3 to create their own blockchain solution for the industry? Do you think the banks will be open to both bitcoin and blockchain or do everything in their power maintain control of the financial system?

BitcoinXio
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Hi Wences, thanks for doing this AMA. I'm a big fan of Xapo, so welcome!

Can you please tell us how the user adoption in Argentina is coming along, and how the overall climate is there (in terms of regulation, politics, users, merchant adoption, and so on)?

Thanks!

wences
AMA
AMA

What's next from Xapo?

Will the debit card ever be available to US customers?
Unfortunately we do not have a date for the debit card to be available to US customers.

wences
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi Wences,

What is your view on the major financial institutions teaming up with R3 to create their own blockchain solution for the industry? Do you think the banks will be open to both bitcoin and blockchain or do everything in their power maintain control of the financial system?
I will copy/paste what I said in another similar question above:

I think "blockchain" is a politically correct word for mid-level executives at financial institutions to be able to look into Bitcoin without getting killed by compliance, legal and/or upper management.

People saying "I am interested in Blockchain but not Bitcoin" are like people saying "I really like the browser but not the Internet". Well, the browser would not work without the internet and the Blockchain would not work if the miners where not being paid with bitcoins. But a lot of people miss that.

The innovations that Bitcoin brought is that it is trustless and permissionless. Some of these people who are "fascinated" with Blockchain go on to work on "private blockchains" which require that you trust that blockchain operator or operators and that you ask for their permission to participate. So, a "private blockchain" is not trustless and it is not permissionless, it is just a database, nothing you could not do with Oracle a few decades ago. You do not need a blockchain for that.

But if all this focus on Blockchain helps get more people exposed to Bitcoin and, eventually, learn about it, the so be it. :)

LiteCoinGuy
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Dbo5TtxG9cWoyw49GM8vbD7HgQhr1KVi6

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi Wences,

1) Do you plan to use the Blockchain for other things than "just" bitcoin?

2) Did you meet Bill Gates in the last 12 moths and talked with him about Bitcoin again :) ?

3) Are you storing your own Bitcoin at Xapo (i guess you are :D ) ?

LCG
More informations about Bitcoin and scaling BTC on

bitcoin.org/en/

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/23/c ... reases-faq

&
reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

wences
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:05 pm

Hi Wences, thanks for doing this AMA. I'm a big fan of Xapo, so welcome!

Can you please tell us how the user adoption in Argentina is coming along, and how the overall climate is there (in terms of regulation, politics, users, merchant adoption, and so on)?

Thanks!
Bitcoin is a lot more important for Argentina than Argentina is for Bitcoin. What I mean by that is that Bitcoin adoption in Argentina is higher than in other countries but, because Argentina is a relatively small economy, not enough to move the needle for Bitcoin as a whole.

At Xapo we see a lot more activity in Argentina that we would have expected, but even then it is not make it to being one of our top 10 markets.

Argentina has had so many problems with its currency (hyperinflation, devaluations, etc), with its banking system (accounts being frozen or confiscated en masse, etc) and with the payments system (currency controls, difficulty to send money in or out, difficulty to buy dollars, etc), that most Argentines understand the appeal of Bitcoin immediately and use it to protect themselves from those issues.

I think this New York Times article describes it well: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/magaz ... onomy.html

wences
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi Wences,

1) Do you plan to use the Blockchain for other things than "just" bitcoin?

2) Did you meet Bill Gates in the last 12 moths and talked with him about Bitcoin again :) ?

3) Are you storing your own Bitcoin at Xapo (i guess you are :D ) ?

LCG
1) Xapo is a Bitcoin company, not a Blockchain company :) As Blockstream and others enable sidechains and other technologies to use the Blockchain to store and move other assets we may implement some of those technologies in the back-end to provide products and services to our customers, but Xapo will always be a Bitcoin company that uses other companies Blockchain products, we are not a Blockchain company.

2) After that conversation he put me in touch with the people at his foundation who are responsible for financial inclusion, they had a negative view on Bitcoin but were very open minded and have changed their view. They have come up with these great guidelines for financial inclusion: https://leveloneproject.org/

3) Of course! Cannot think of a safer place to keep them.

bitc0in
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Of all the ways in which Bitcoin could fail the one that worries me most, because I think it has the highest probability of all the bad things that could happen, is a price panic that drives the price to zero, or $15, from which it may be very hard for Bitcoin to recover the public's trust.

Right now most of the money that is invested in Bitcoin is money people can afford to loose and that makes it safe money. So when Bitcoin goes from $1,200 to $200 there is not a vicious cycle of people who need to sell, because they cannot afford to loose more money, that drives the price to zero.

It is hard to estimate how many people on bitcoins, but it may be somewhere between 13 and 15 million people right now. If Bitcoin is successful we will see hundreds of millions of people own Bitcoin and, eventually, billions. The only way we can get to billions of people owning Bitcoin is by the price going up by several orders of magnitude, let's say $ 1 million (but this is highly speculative and risky). So, if I am right, and Bitcoin has to go from $390 to $1,000,000 the best way for it to get there without crashing irreversibly is with as much volatility as possible. If bitcoin went up a couple percentage points every week and everybody began to think about it as a "sure" thing, investing money that was destined to pay for kids colleges or for retirement, that is a disaster waiting to happen price wise. Because when Bitcoin corrects those people have to sell because they cannot take more losses, potentially creating a vicious circle which is hard to reverse.

Ironically, we have to thank Bitcoin's volatility for people not investing money they cannot afford to loose. As long as the Bitcoin price remains highly volatile and perceived as risky, we are OK. Begin to worry when it is perceived as a sure thing that everybody should own a lot of.
Hi Wences,

Very interesting analysis. Thank you for sharing.
About the $ 1 million you mention, I was wondering how do you come up with this number?
:mrgreen:

edugarbizu
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:22 pm

Do you think that Crypto Valley in Zug (Switzerland) can compete with Silicon Valley?
What is Xapo doing to help growing the swiss bitcoin ecosystem?
Are you planning to join http://en.dfca.ch and http://bitcoinassociation.ch ?

nandubatchu

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:24 pm

How do we change the 2Factor Authentication details for Xapo wallets in the case of terminated/change of mobile number (old)

wences
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:28 pm

How do we change the 2Factor Authentication details for Xapo wallets in the case of terminated/change of mobile number (old)
please contact support@xapo.com

We have to be very careful about how we do that because we have to make sure it is not someone trying to steal your account.

Ishotas
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi Wences,

Thanks for doing this AMA.

1- We currently see different governments taking very different approaches to bitcoin. What is your prediction regarding the regulatory trends for bitcoin in the following years?

2- Will Xapo Vault remain free-of-charge for non-institutional users despite costs related with infrastructure, insurance, etc?

3- What other (bitcoin) financial services does Xapo plan to offer in the near future?
Last edited by Ishotas on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helloworld
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:36 pm

When will xapo release a bitcoin debit card which is not a rip off?

americanpegasus

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:03 pm

Hey,

It's americanpegasus, I created an account here just now specifically to thank you for that incredible and famous video of yours (new gold standard). You were one of my original Bitcoin heroes, and have really helped me articulate *why* bitcoin and cryptocurrency is important, both to myself and others.

I've extended some of the concepts you presented to the Cryptonote standard as well in my own works. My personal belief is that civilization needs a public ledger and a private ledger, with optional mechanisms to obscure or reveal those two respectively. Do you believe that the original bitcoin blockchain is the only one we will ever need (like the internet), or are competing blockchains an inevitability (like language)?

My best wishes to Xapo and your future endeavors.

omarabid
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi,

1. If you have a vault service, does that mean that the funds at my wallet are insecure? If the security level is the same, why not just have delayed withdrawals for large amounts?

2. Is there something in Xapo like Coinbase "multisig" wallet?

3. Will you freeze my funds if the gov. ask you to?

OWMC

Donate BTC of your choice to 12U153Eqz36xpwWryKPGJzakVpKPCPZxLP

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:06 pm

Hello Wences!

I don't have a question. I just want to say I really, really enjoyed your interview with Reason (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY1N26TZFAI). I can completely understand your passion. My family went bankrupt from the Savings and Loans crisis when I was younger (funnily at the time we lived near a village called Casares in Spain, have you heard of it?). I really admire what you are doing with Xapo, and I must say, you really nailed the design. The graphics are awesome.

All power to you my friend!
Last edited by OWMC on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marketing Communications Specialist
Design / UX / PR / Web / Print / Events
Bitcoin early adopter (July 2011)

owmc.co.uk
bitcoinconsultant.co.uk
bitvault.co

wences
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi Wences,

Thanks for doing this AMA.

1- We currently see different governments taking very different approaches to bitcoin. What is your prediction regarding the regulatory trends for bitcoin in the following years?

2- Will Xapo Vault remain free-of-charge for non-institutional users despite costs related with infrastructure, insurance, etc?

3- What other (bitcoin) financial services does Xapo plan to offer in the near future?

1- I think it will take a decade or two to get to "cruising altitude" in Bitcoin's regulatory front and, in that path, we are going to see governments take two steps forward and one backwards many times, like we have already seen. I takes a while for regulators to realize that Bitcoin is a thing, like gravity, and you have to deal with it like it or not, like gravity, but you cannot make it disappear like you cannot make gravity disappear.

2- Yes, the Xapo Vault will remain free for all users.

3- We are working on products and services to make it easier for people to buy bitcoins and for people to spend those bitcoins.

wences
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:11 pm

When will xapo release a bitcoin debit card which is not a rip off?
I understand your frustration. I am a Bitcoin user and Xapo has a debit card because I want to use that product. The fees we charge are the fees that we are being charged, we do not make any money on those fees and the only way we would have to eliminate them would be to loose money on it which we cannot do. It is the cost we pay of interfacing with the old world financial system and its addiction to fees.

We keep working to improve the debit card experience but the Xapo debit card is the best debit card in the market. It is a true debit card, ie. you do not need to "load" it like a pre-paid card because it automatically debits your Xapo Wallet in real time and it beats or matches the fees and prices of all the other debit cards out there (which work more like pre-paid cards, you have to fund, etc.)

OgNasty
AMA
AMA

Donate BTC of your choice to 1NastyFRkeUTmMdbMmzggDVTQA6r3ibUoX

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:15 pm

Thank you for doing this AMA Wences. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts about Bitcoin and your view of Xapo.

What do you find entertaining about Bitcoin?

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”