Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
metamorphin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18WxWQFf7rctFH3xZTEj8LNvtJQ45UwsVK

Re: I am Thomas Voegtlin, creator of Electrum. Ask me Anything!

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:14 pm

Hello Thomas,

we from Europecointeam, wanna install an Electrum Server. But how often, devs are rare and deep in developments. I would appreciate it, to get access to someone, who can install us an Electrum Server.

Greetz
Steve

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:28 pm

I am Thomas Voegtlin, creator of Electrum (https://electrum.org). I
am a computer scientist with a PhD in machine learning and neural
networks. I heard about Bitcoin for the first time in December 2010,
after it was mentioned on Slashdot.

Long before Bitcoin, I got involved in one of the first Distributed
Hash Table projects, called Circle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Circl ... _system%29.
One of my goals with Circle was to create a peer-to-peer digital currency,
and I spent some time trying to find a solution to the problem of
distributed consensus. This is why I became particularly excited when,
I read Satoshi's paper, 10 years later.

I decided to write Electrum in September 2011, after the mybitcoin.com
fiasco severely damaged the Bitcoin economy. I thought that the only
way to prevent such a disaster from happening again was to provide a
secure and easy to use wallet, that filled the gap between Bitcoin
Core and web wallets. I work now full time on Electrum.
Congratulations on Electrum, one of the most popular wallets!!!!!

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

kingscrown
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:46 am

Are you planning to ever monetize Electrum or do you have any idea how would this be done?
Financial Underground KIngdom - Best Cryptocurrency Blog with Private Mailing List

GIVE ME A BEER 1HC58noBPD7fmyNZKP7qf7thjb6ZSVN7fK

Voluntary
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:03 am

Hello Thomas, great to see you doing this AMA. One of my favourite features of Electrum is being able to sign a transaction on an offline computer - it makes me much more confident about the safety of my private keys.

But could you comment on this recent story? http://news.slashdot.org/story/16/02/11 ... -passwords How much longer would seed phrases need to be to make these brute force attacks infeasible?

Also, is Ethereum interesting enough to you to justify an Ethereum version of Electrum?

Finally, with the standard Bitcoin and the newer Litecoin versions of Electrum, do you see any potential for a future merged version of Electrum that might facilitate crypto currency exchanges?

Bit_Sig

Tue May 03, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi Thomas,

First, thank you for the great Electrum product!

Can you please advise on the fixing the problem with setting Trezor with Electrum under my Ubuntu 14.04. I installed the latest Electrum 2.6.4 and tried to set up Trezor with it but failed. Every time when I connect Trezor, then in Electrum check Create New Wallet and then Hardware Wallet and on the next screen push next to go to selecting the type of hardware wallet, I receive "list index out range" error and Electrum collapses. Thank you.

Eacahstser

Thu May 12, 2016 8:03 am

awesome information. I need for data about that. can you please tell some of the important tips and ideas here.

BTCpoker#1
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri May 13, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi Thomas, I will give this a try:

1. How many full time workers are there over at Electrum if any?

2. How is the platform/software sustained and what are the costs?

3. Why do I get a Microsoft Visual C++ "run timer error" message when running 2.5.4 for windows 7 (after I click OK everything works normally)? Feel free to ignore this question if this isn't the right place to ask these kinds of things.

Thanks!

silverpandabtc

Donate BTC of your choice to 3HA2SBTbadjgzFq7JmBq9fbuH8PyRSrURz

Mon May 30, 2016 6:12 am

Hi Thomas,

We have a little problem with Electrum Wallets. Basically, we have this master wallet with thousands of sub wallets. We are using bitcoin API v1 all this while without a hickup until it quits a few days back. To be fair, they actually warn us about moving to API v2 but due to heavy workload, we postponed the migration until unfortunately it quits a few days back. What we plan to do is to sweep all those BTC into one main wallets but we were unable to do so because our electrum desktop program seem to freeze at Sync.

You attention is highly appreciated.

SilverPanda.

GerryH

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:38 am

Hi Thomas
I'm using Electrum since 01.2014. On one bitcoin address the transactions have passed the 1000 mark, but the programm stucks at 999 Tx. (the newest one are shown, but the balance is wrong). I tried to change manually to servers with 10000 Tx, deleted the blockchain-headers file to let it rebuild, but nothing helps. I installed it on 3 different machines with 3 different operating systems (mac/ubuntu/win), but everywhere's the same "bug".
have you got any idea or suggestion?
thx a lot

vuksa2103

Donate BTC of your choice to 16w5aeAXdPSbDDMToeRaiSFP1cixLB5KNY

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi Tomas,

Can you please explain to me how to uninstall Electrum-server ?

Thanks,
vuksa2103

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1fdFgrw59gczh96esrpJST6MVHyQm4VJK

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:45 am

Hey Thomas, you say you are working full time on electrum, does this mean your sole income sourcr is electrum? How does that work? It's free, there are no ads, no info harvesting (AFAIK), etc. Donations? Don't they go to development?
Hi Thomas
I'm using Electrum since 01.2014. On one bitcoin address the transactions have passed the 1000 mark, but the programm stucks at 999 Tx. (the newest one are shown, but the balance is wrong). I tried to change manually to servers with 10000 Tx, deleted the blockchain-headers file to let it rebuild, but nothing helps. I installed it on 3 different machines with 3 different operating systems (mac/ubuntu/win), but everywhere's the same "bug".
have you got any idea or suggestion?
thx a lot
This probably belongs on the GitHub repo.
theres a snake in my boot

grnqrtr
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Electrum was also the first wallet to come with a seed phrase (sequence of English words) that allows you to restore your wallet (later used in BIP39).
It's my understanding that Electrum does not use BIP39 seed phrases like many of the other popular wallets. Is there a reason for that? Or is it something you are planning to implement at some point? I like BIP39 because I know that there are many different wallets that I could import my seed into to retrieve my bitcoin if needed and am not dependent on any one wallet.

curious16

Donate BTC of your choice to 1KCidnxz893wYhjJ3uWhY85FHkrxQ5jpuJ

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:15 am

Hi I sent bitcoin to an address provided by electrum which I run through TAILS. I think it was only valid for one day and had possibly expired before I managed to send. I then had to upgrade to tails . Now there is no bitcoin in my wallet nor can I find the address provided which is this 14taAE18GRVaDyC5bPF3AGkMmKXGjKHjQf. Please help kind regards :P

loose5.9BTC

Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Hello Thomas, have a very big problem with your wallet.... I have opened a account on Electrum and wanted receive 5.9 BTC but as I am new, I have sent the bad receiveing adress: YOURS (but in reality is the adress of the owner of the server:electrum2.villocq.com !! I have seen Donation adress (1JL8K1Bh1EQpBUk41WBPvdjwn5vbjp55bv) and thought was mine but NO!!
please help me Sir :(

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:06 pm

Hello Thomas, have a very big problem with your wallet.... I have opened a account on Electrum and wanted receive 5.9 BTC but as I am new, I have sent the bad receiveing adress: YOURS (but in reality is the adress of the owner of the server:electrum2.villocq.com !! I have seen Donation adress (1JL8K1Bh1EQpBUk41WBPvdjwn5vbjp55bv) and thought was mine but NO!!
Ouch, sorry to hear that! :o

Your best bet would be to try reach Thomas by email, and you can find his email address on his forum profile page by clicking here.

I hope you have some luck getting your BTC back, but be fully prepared to prove that you were the sender of those funds. Thomas will require proof - just like any other person would - and the best way to do this will be to sign a message using one of the input addresses (i.e. one of the addresses you sent the funds from).

If you have trouble doing that feel free to send me a PM (so we don't take this thread off-topic) and I'll try to help you out. :)

Fremont

curious16

Donate BTC of your choice to 1KCidnxz893wYhjJ3uWhY85FHkrxQ5jpuJ

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:34 am

Hi, any luck on knowing how I trace a receiving address in Electrum ? It is not showing up in electrum nor the bitcoin I sent there

cheers

loose5.9BTC

Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:24 am

Ouch, sorry to hear that! :o

Your best bet would be to try reach Thomas by email, and you can find his email address on his forum profile page by clicking here.

I hope you have some luck getting your BTC back, but be fully prepared to prove that you were the sender of those funds. Thomas will require proof - just like any other person would - and the best way to do this will be to sign a message using one of the input addresses (i.e. one of the addresses you sent the funds from).

If you have trouble doing that feel free to send me a PM (so we don't take this thread off-topic) and I'll try to help you out. :)

Fremont

First, thank you very much for your help.. I have all the proofs that show I tell the truth. I have been on his profile page but I don't see his email!
Is it already occurred in the past?

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:34 pm

First, thank you very much for your help.. I have all the proofs that show I tell the truth. I have been on his profile page but I don't see his email!
Is it already occurred in the past?
Oops, my apologies, he has that particular setting turned off to regular users.

His email address is available publicly online though, so I'll PM it to you and you can go from there. :)

Fremont

michaelelwan

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi Thomas,

Really appreciate your help please in order to recover my hard earned coins!

I have created electrum wallets (multisig) and somehow, I lost the first one of them (or I just created one of the 2 only I am not sure).

At the moment, I have my coins on a wallet (called "wallet_try1 [2of2]") and I can see my coins there, I have the password to the wallet, can get its private keys, but every time I try to send them to another address, the transaction is partially signed but I cannot broadcast it and I have no idea what to do now?

I googled and spent many many hours trying to figure it out on my own and I was not successful, so I decided to reach our to you for help please!

I know I should have researched better before creating a wallet, but I am worried that I may lost my hard earned money now forever!

Appreciate your help please

Thanks

RightHere

Donate BTC of your choice to 3C66EXHNQuucPkR14VEPTL877KyKpMGFxd

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for this great wallet.

I read your notes about how to split one's coins using Electrum in case of a fork (more recently I found a page about it on the Electrum 2.10 docs), I understand that you have great consideration for Electrum users' freedom to choose what to do in case of a Bitcoin fork, and that you take into account that operations should probably be performed quickly after the fork, according to one's expectations of what might happen.

Could you please tell already if there will be at least one electrum server connected to the Bitcoin Gold blockchain, and which?

Could you please tell already if there will be at least one electrum server connected to the Bitcoin Segwit2x blockchain, and which?

Thank you!

MalcolmFoster

Donate BTC of your choice to 1CERvumdaa1zjD3jYcfjoxv6gr9axyzdsG

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi Thomas, I very much hope you (or anyone else) can please help me. No one I know can help me, even younger family. I will start off by saying I know next to nothing about Bitcoin. Now 70, I am not very computer-system savvy but saw the potential for having some bitcoin (along with P.M's) so had a go at buying some at the start of the year. I was recommended Hashflare and, due to multiple payment problems, ended up with 4 times more than intended. It was about the value of 1 BTC but I later realised I did not have that, just contracts for them to mine them for me. After all this time of trying, when it seems to have reached only about 0.4 BTC, I have managed to successfully (I think) withdraw about half at 0.2 BTC.
I installed Electrum (now 2.7.18) and after co-ordinating addresses (which caused a 2 week delay), my withdrawal of 0,2 BTC showed as `Successful'.
The trouble is, after 6 days, my offline wallet is still showing Date - Unknown. Amount +0. Balance 0 and `Synchronizing......' showing in the bottom LH corner. I contacted Hashflare who could not help me, apart from sending a link to Blockchain summary? (with View Tree Chart) to prove the transaction worked. My offline wallet with them shows the remaining 0.2 BTC. They suggested I contacted my wallet software provider but I could find no contact details on the Electrum website and so found you here. I still find beginner books and videos hard to follow.
Is it possible you might point me in the right direction to fix things in the hope I have not permanently lost that substantial BTC value? I could send the links I mentioned but don't want to compromise my security in any way. There is a fee of 0.00023112 BTC shown and also a figure of around 18 BTC - I don't know what that is. Many thanks for any help offered.
Regards, Malcolm Foster

RightHere

Donate BTC of your choice to 3C66EXHNQuucPkR14VEPTL877KyKpMGFxd

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:39 pm

[...]The trouble is, after 6 days, my offline wallet is still showing Date - Unknown. Amount +0. Balance 0 and `Synchronizing......' [...] My offline wallet with them shows the remaining 0.2 BTC.[...]

Hi Malcolm,

As you said, your offline wallet is offline, and needs to stay so permanently, so no hacker can steal the wallet file and try to decrypt it in order to be able to sign outgoing transactions from it, or directly sweep funds from it by importing your private keys into another wallet.

The offline part, which is called "cold storage", should never show your balance nor any transactions, provided you have been correctly keeping it permanently offline. You only use your "cold storage" Electrum instance when you want to sign a payment, an outgoing transaction.

The part which goes online is the "watching-only" part, and only receives (from screen to webcam, read below) the master public key from the cold storage part, not the private keys which are indispensable to sign outgoing transactions.

The two parts should only communicate via qrcodes, screen to webcam, you should have two webcams actually and not connect any USB device which use use with the cold storage machine to any other machine which is or will go online, nor of course share any file via USB between the cold storage part and any other machine which might get to be online at any moment in the future. Search "bad USB exploit". When I found out about it, I created a new wallet and sent my funds to it., because I had used the same USB memory stick with the cold storage machine and the watching only one.

The cold storage part should stay "air gapped", they use to say.

(In case you really need to get a file out of it, it's possibly safer - I'm not 100% sure that it is always the case - to burn a CD or DVD with the file on it instead of plugging a USB memory stick then plugging it on another machine which is or will go online. If I'd really need to use a USB memory stick, I would afterwards as soon as possible create a new wallet and send my funds to it, then leave the cold storage hardware "air gapped".)

Always, put a very strong password on your wallet.

neustart

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi Thomas !
May I ask you to let me any advice hot to add OP_RETURN to outputs to transaction ?
That's what I already tried:
outputs.append(tuple([0, 'OP_RETURN 6a0b68656c6c6f20776f726c64', 0]))
But this not works for me

Thanks

Marconi
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:13 pm

I love your work. Thank you

CryptoBeans
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:09 pm

I love your work. Thank you

Cryptozone
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Great, love your project

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”