MarkRoberts
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Hardware wallet vs dedicated computer ?

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:03 pm

What benifit will a hardware wallet like the Ledger Nano S give me over just having a thumb-drive with Tails?

They have better physical security. That is, it'll be more difficult for someone with access to the device to attach a hardware keylogger, etc. (Though the hardware wallet manufacturers overstate their hardware security, I think.)

Although very difficult, it's still slightly possible for someone to attack your offline computer via software. For example, even air-gapped computers can be attacked by exploiting the USB flash drives used to transfer data to/from such computers. An attacker could modify any scripts/programs on the flash drive to attack the air-gapped computer, or could theoretically even exploit a bug in the USB-flash-drive kernel driver on the air-gapped computer. Etc. Dedicated hardware wallets probably have less surface-area for such attacks. (And if you plan on using Tails on an Internet-connected computer, then its exposure to software attacks is significant.)

[url] mycryptoparadise.com [/url]

WalletInvestor
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Re: Hardware wallet vs dedicated computer ?

Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm

Technically, both can be hacked, although the chance is small. Both can be a good way to store cryptos, but I think having a hardware wallet is simpler and still relatively safe, so I would choose that option. To minimize risks, it's best to make sure that the hardware wallet is from a safe source and everything works fine.
Check out the latest forecasts and news about cryptocurrencies, stocks, forex pairs and more on WalletInvestor.com

Return to “Wallets”